Roy L. Johnston
Position: Deputy Head of School & Professor of Computational Chemistry
Office: Haworth 204n
School of Chemistry,
University of Birmingham,
Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TT.
+44 (0)121 414 7477
+44 (0)121 414 4403
New: Postdoctoral Research Fellow Vacancy
Duration: 29 months
Post available from: 1 June 2014
Application deadline: 28 March 2014
Research Area: Theoretical Chemistry
1. Biologically-Inspired Computational Chemistry
Ant Colony Optimization
Artificial Neural Networks
Artificial Immune Systems
Birmingham Cluster Web
3. Model Studies of Protein Folding
5. Theoretical Structural Chemistry
Contributor to RSC Book:
The Age of the Molecule
Author of Book:
Atomic and Molecular Clusters
Author of Dalton Perspective:
Evolving better nanoparticles: Genetic algorithms for optimising cluster geometries
Editor of Volume:
Applications of Evolutionary Computation in Chemistry (Structure & Bonding, Volume 110).
Co-editor of Volume:
Nanoalloys: From Theory to Application (Faraday Discussions, Volume 138).
Co-author of Review:
Nanoalloys: From Theory to Applications of Alloy Clusters and Nanoparticles
(Chem. Rev. 2008, 108, 845-910.)
Local Research Links
Current Research Grants
- EPSRC Grant (EP/G070326/1) "Towards an Atomic-scale Understanding of the 3D Structure of Size-selected Clusters on Surfaces" (2009-13) - with Dr Ziyou Li & Prof. Richard E. Palmer (Nanoscale Physics, Birmingham) and Prof. Jun Yuan (Physics, York).
- EPSRC Programme Grant (EP/I001352/1) "Simulation of Self-Assembly" (2010-15) - with Prof. Daan Frenkel, Prof. David Wales & Dr Mark Miller (Chemistry, Cambridge) and Dr Jonathan Doye (Chemistry, Oxford).
- EPSRC Critical Mass Grant (EP/J010804/1) "TOUCAN: TOwards an Understanding of CAtalysis on Nanoalloys" (2012-17) - with Dr Gabor Csanyi and Prof. David Wales (Cambridge), Dr Francesca Baletto (Kings College London), Dr Jon Doye (Oxford) and Prof. Chris. Pickard (University College London).
- Member of the EPSRC-funded UK Materials Chemistry HPC Consortium - coordinated by Prof. Richard Catlow and Dr. Scott Woodley (Chemistry, University College London).
- COST Action MP0903 "NANOALLOY - Nanoalloys as Advanced Materials: From Structure to Properties and Applications" (2010-14). Vice Chair and Working Group Leader.
- Host of Marie Curie Intra-European Fellow [Dr Ivailo Atanasov] (PIEF-GA-2010-272790) "PhDBiNA: Computing Phase Diagrams of Binary Nanoalloys" (2011-13).
- HPC-Europa2 Transnational Access Programme - cpu allocations and travel funds for collaborations with: R. Ferrando (Genoa, Italy); A. Fortunelli (Pisa, Italy); J. Akola (Tempere, Finland); H. Arslan (Zonguldac, Turkey); J. C. Schoen (Stuttgart, Germany).
Co-workers and Collaborators
Johnston group (December 2012)
Johnston group (2009)
Johnston group (2004)
Johnston and Knowles groups (1997)
Current Group Members
- Dr Ivailo Atanasov (Marie Curie Intra-European Research Fellow)
- Dr Mark Oakley (PDRA)
- Jack Davis (1st year PhD)
- Chris Heard (3rd year PhD)
- Paul Jennings (3rd year PhD) [DTC in Hydrogen, Fuel Cells - joint with Chem. Eng. and Biosciences]
- Calum Sloan (2nd year PhD)
- Lewis Smeeton (2nd year PhD)
Former Group Members
- Dr Andy Bennett [PhD 2009]
- Dr Eugene Cheung [PDRA 2003-06]
- Dr Hazel Cox [PDRA 1994-95] (Senior Lecturer, University of Sussex)
- Dr Graham Cox [PhD 2007] (Tessella Support Services plc)
- Dr Ben Curley [PhD 2008]
- Dr Richard Gilham [PhD 2005] (Metereological Office)
- Dr Scott Habershon [PhD 2004] (Assistant Professor, University of Warwick)
- Ramli Ismail [PhD 2013] (Lecturer, Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris, Malaysia)
- Dr Lesley Lloyd [PhD 1999, PDRA 2002-05]
- Dr Andy Logsdail [MRes 2008, PhD 2012] (Postdoctoral Fellow, University College London)
- Dr Tom Mortimer-Jones [PhD 2005]
- Dr Oliver Paz Borbon [PhD 2009] (Postdoctoral Fellow, Chalmers University, Gothenberg, Sweden)
- Faye Pittaway [MRes 2007]
- Dr Chris Roberts [PhD 2001] (Astra Zeneca)
- Dr Gareth Rylance [PhD 2007] (Tessella Support Services plc)
- Dr Sumet Sakulsermsuk [PhD 2010]
- Dr Jose Samaniego-Reyna [PhD 2002]
- Dr Nicola Toto [PhD 2007]
- Dr Dung Trung Tran [PhD 2010] (Postdoctoral Fellow, Trondheim University, Norway)
- Dr Giles Turner [PhD 2002] (Tessella Support Services plc)
- Dr Julia Uppenbrink [PDRA 1992-93]
- Dr Paul West [PhD 2013]
- Dr Nick Wilson [PhD 2000] (Physical and Life Sciences Research Group, Fujitsu)
Giles Turner (2002)
Graham Cox and Gareth Rylance (2007)
Oliver Paz-Borbon (2009)
- Sven Heiles (Technical University Darmstadt, Germany) [October 2010-March 2011]
- Sara Nunez (University of Valladolid, Spain) [May-August 2009]
- Dr Haydar Arslan (Zonguldak University, Turkey) [June-August 2008; March 2011; July-September 2011]
- Abhishek Gupta (Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi, India) [May-July 2007]
- Dr Fuyi Chen (Northwestern Polytechnic University, Xian, China) [July 2006-June 2008]
- Dr Alvaro Posada-Amarillas & Dr Dora Borbon-Gonzalez (University of Sonora, Mexico) [August 2005-January 2006]
- Freddy Fernandez Guimaraes (UFMG, Belo Horizonte, Brazil) [August 2000-January 2001]
Collaborators at the University of Birmingham
- Dr Jadson Belchior
(Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brazil)
- Dr Yu Chen (University of Strathclyde)
- Dr Hazel Cox (University of Sussex)
- Professor Riccardo Ferrando (University of Genoa, Italy)
- Professor Alessandro Fortunelli (CNR, Pisa, Italy)
- Professor Kenneth Harris (Cardiff University)
- Professor Julius Jellinek(Argonne National Laboratory, USA)
- Professor Tamiki Komatsuzaki (Hokkaido University, Japan)
- Dr Alvaro Posada Amarillas (Universidad de Sonora, Mexico)
- Professor Said Salhi (University of Kent)
- Professor Christian Schoen (Max-Planck Institute for Solid State Research, Stuttgart, Germany)
- Professor Alexander V. Soldatov (Rostov State University, Rostov-on-Don, Russia)
- Professor Stefan Vajda (Argonne National Laboratory, USA)
- CHM2S6 - Introductory Computational Chemistry (Molecular Mechanics)
- CHM3E4 - Advanced Computational Chemistry (Computer Simulation)
- CHM4M3-I - Metal Clusters & Nanoalloys
- CHM4M3-II - Symmetry & Spectroscopy of Polyatomic Molecules
Organization of Conferences etc.
- Co-organizer of
Royal Society Discussion Meeting The Metal-non-metal Transition in Macroscopic and
(5-6 March 1997).
- Co-editor of the proceedings of the above meeting
Phil. Trans. R. Soc. London 1998, 356, 1-278.
- Organizer of
CCP5 Annual Meeting 1999 Simulation of Clusters and Interfaces (6-8 September 1999).
- Director of
RSC Theoretical Chemistry Group - Theoretical Chemistry Summer School 2000:
Theory and Simulation of Clusters and Nanoparticles
(29 August - 6 September 2000)
- Co-organizer of RSC-TCG/CCP5 Meeting
Materials: Atomistic and Ab Initio Approaches Mansfield College,
Oxford (9-10 April 2003).
- Organizer of meeting Theoretical and Experimental Inorganic Chemistry (A meeting to celebrate the 60th birthday of Professor D. Michael P. Mingos, FRS) St. Edmund Hall, Oxford (21 August 2004). (Photo)
- Chair of Faraday Discussion 138: Nanoalloys - From Theory to Applications University of Birmingham (3-5 September 2007).
- Co-chair of
BEAR Postgraduate Research Computing Conference 2010, 2011, 2012 University of Birmingham.
- Co-organiser of COST Action "NANOALLOY" Working Group Meeting "Nanoalloy Phase Diagrams", Brno, Czech Republic, 2-3 April 2012.
- Chair of The 7th International Conference on the Theory of Atomic and Molecular Clusters (TAMC VII) University of Birmingham (15-20 September 2013).
Some Chemistry Links